working entirely remotely with the convenience of radrails/aptana editor
bronius
2007-10-30 20:26:41 UTC
I have successfully installed all the components for Aptana/RadRails
including ruby and rails on my WinXP machine, but am I stuck with
editing only a copy of my rails projects(s) and publishing/copying
them over either thru some repository or other mechanism?

Is it possible to use my remote rails box's file system, database, and
web server while using the IDE only as a fancy text editor that nicely
contains rails projects? Thus far, I've only seen how to import files
from an existing project.

I already have my remote rails projects exposed via samba share...

bronius
2007-10-30 20:41:57 UTC
Hmm.. This seems to work ok for me:
- map to rails samba share as network drive, say Z:
- in RadRails, create New Rails Project, navigate to Z:, find the
rails root application folder (the one that immediately contains app,
config, db, etc)
- that's it :)

Now, I can edit with the convenience of RadRails autocomplete and such
and save my changes directly to the rails box.

Does anyone know whether this will introduce any weird issues like IDE-
introduced funny file paths or some-such?

-bronius